Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Following a vegan diet doesn't mean you have to give up on baked goods like home-made chocolate chip cookies. Follow this recipe to bake up a batch of homestyle cookies without the butter and eggs.
* 1 1/4 cup. all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 cup vegan margarine
* 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
* 3/4 cup granulated sweetener
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 4 tablespoons soft silken tofu, puréed until smooth
* 1 cup vegan carob or semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together margarine, shortening, sugar and vanilla. Beat in puréed tofu.
Gradually add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if desired).
Drop by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake cookies until golden brown -- approximately 10 - 12 minutes. Let cool on rack.
Source : Vegetarian Cuisine