Veggie Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Pineapple Rice is the signature dish of Thailand, normally served in a carved-out pineapple. This menu is a vegetarian variation of this classic Thai recipe. Veggie Thai Pineapple Fried Rice easy for your cooking.
INGREDIENTS FOR VEGAN:- 1 whole pineapple
- 3 cups cooked rice, preferably several days old
- 4 Tbsp. peanut or coconut oil
- 1-3 Tbsp. vegetable stock (or chicken stock if non-vegetarian)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- ½ cup raw unsalted whole cashews
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 small or medium carrot, grated
- ¼ cup raisins or currants
- 2 Tbsp vegetarian fish sauce, or soy sauce (use regular fish sauce if non-vegetarian)
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 3 spring onions finely sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander
- 1 egg (optional)
PREPARATION:1. Slice off one side of the pineapple to remove the skin (do no cut off the leaves). Carve out the fruit from inside the pineapple. Set carved pineapple aside. (For step by step instructions, click on the link below recipe)
2. Cut the fruit of the pineapple into bite-size pieces to make 1 cup.
3. Mix 1 Tbsp. oil with the rice, using your fingers to separate chunks.
4. Place remaining oil in a wok/large frying pan and turn heat on to medium-high. Add shallots, garlic, and chilli, stir-frying until fragrant (1-2 minutes). If the wok becomes too dry, add a little stock or water 1 Tbsp. at a time.
5. Crack egg into wok, if using, and stir quickly to cook.
6. Add [veggie] fish sauce or soy sauce, curry powder, peas, carrot, and cashews. Stir-fry (1 minute).
7. Now add rice, fresh pineapple pieces, and currents. Stir to combine and continue stir frying over high or medium-high heat until the rice "dances" (you'll be able to hear it popping), 1-3 minutes).
8. Taste for saltiness. If not salty enough, add up to 2 Tbsp. more [veggie] fish sauce or soy sauce.
9. To serve, scoop rice into the carved-out pineapple. Top with spring onions and coriander.
Serve for; 4
[Source from; thaifood.about.com]